lunes, 4 de marzo de 2024

Nijal Hamberg: "Don't give up, don't ever give up"

We have interviewed Nijal Hamberg,is a new language assistant who came this past year to our highschool nine hours from first to fourth grade.    

When were you born?
I was born on December 20th, 1995.


Where are you from?

I was born in Leominster, Massachusetts, USA, but I grew up in a small town next to Leominster called Lunenburg.


What have you studied?
I studied at the University of Southern New Hampshire and finished my bachelor's degree in Public Health. Also, I studied at the University of Florida, in Gainesville, Florida, for one semester.


What do you do for a living?
Back in the United States, I worked in finance. I started many years ago as a real estate agent, then I worked at a bank helping families get approved for loans. Lastly, I worked as a bookkeeper which is similar to an accountant but with fewer responsibilities.


Why did you decide to be a conversation assistant?
Although I have always worked in finance, I have been interested in teaching for a long time. I discovered this opportunity, and I was extremely excited to be able to learn what it is like as an assistant rather than being the main teacher. I knew this would allow me to get a better understanding of what it truly takes to be a teacher. Also, I knew it was an opportunity to live in Spain and improve my Spanish while also learning more about the daily life of the people here in Spain.


Do you like the experience?
It has been great so far. Everyone here has welcomed me with open arms and made me feel at home. This experience has been better than I could’ve ever imagined. I have made many friends and learned a lot. I am extremely grateful for it.





Why did you choose Spain?
I have traveled to about 30 different countries while working remotely from my computer. Before coming here, I had visited Spain two times before. During these trips, I fell in love with the Spanish culture and its people. After returning home, I knew I had to find a way to get back to this beautiful country and learn more about it.


What has surprised you the most, positively and negatively, about Spain?
What surprised me the most about Spain is how different the schedule is here. For example, in the United States, we eat lunch around 12 and dinner around 5 or 6. This is neither a positive nor negative thing, but something that I found interesting and a little difficult to adjust to at first. One negative thing I encountered is that most stores here close during the day for a few hours. In the United States, this does not happen. It is normal to me now, but was inconvenient at first. Positively, I have appreciated the pure kindness of Spanish people. It is normal to see someone stopping on the street, taking time out of their day, to speak with each other. Or, it is normal to ask your neighbor for help when you need it. These things are not as common in the United States.


Would you like to come again to Spain in the future?

Yes! Actually, in the future, I would like to move to Spain permanently. This place now feels like a second home to me, and I hope to make it my new home someday.


Which is the thing that you miss more of your country?
What I miss the most about my country is my family. It is difficult to be far away from them for such a long time. Also, there are certain foods that I miss as well. As a vegetarian, it is sometimes difficult to eat at restaurants here.


Is the education here different in USA?
Yes, the structure is different. For example, we do not have bachillerato. In our high school, we have grades 9 to 12 which are students 14 to 18. Also, we start and end at different times than here. Our school day typically lasts from 8 to 3 every day. Lastly, students in the United States move to different classrooms for their subjects. In contrast, the teachers are the ones who move to the students here.


What countries have you visited?
I have visited around 30 countries. Most of them are in Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, and North America. I will put a list below in the chronological order that I visited them.

USA, Canada, Mexico, Aruba, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Albania, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Poland, Malta.


What do you like to do in your free time?
In my free time, I enjoy playing basketball, running, learning new skills, reading books, and traveling.


What are your short and long term objectives and goals?
My biggest short-term goal is to become fluent in Spanish. Learning the language has been much more difficult than I anticipated. I know it will take a lot of time to study, but it will be worth it because I will be able to communicate with you all more and get to know you better. My biggest long-term goal is to start and run a successful online business so I can continue to travel the world and eventually move to Spain. I hope to visit every continent and 100 countries during my life.


Do you have a motto or phrase that motivates you?
Yes, I have a tattoo on my left arm with a quote written in my parents' handwriting. The quote reads, "Don't give up, don't ever give up," and was said during a speech by Jimmy Valvano, a renowned basketball coach in the United States.


Thanks for your time.

Lucía Castell Medina, Aya Nachidi Ammari (2º BA) y Noelia Ruiz Bravo (2º BB)  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario